HOT CROSS BUNS
2 cups buckwheat flour
2 cups almond meal
3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup almond milk or rice milk
¼ cup organic maple syrup or honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250 g raisins or saltanas or fresh or frozen blueberries
if you want to go traditional mix some buckwheat flour and water and pipe crosses
1. Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced (320°F).
2. Combine buckwheat flour, almond meal, cinnamon, flaxseed and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Combine olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla into a separate bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mix.
5. Mix through gently until a sticky dough forms. What will happen is that the dough will thicken and absorb all the moisture from the almond milk as it rests. I normally like to rest my dough for 5 - 10 minutes before adding fruit.
6. Add fruit and give the dough one more brief mix – it should be lovely and sticky with the fruit distributed throughout.
7. Scoop out into rounds using an ice cream scoop onto a lined baking tray.
8. Brush the top with a little extra almond milk and pipe cross on top.
9. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.